Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Holloween is coming! What am I gonna do with the pumpkin meat after making the Jaco-o-lanterns?



Alright! I guess Holloween is coming.
I am not really familiar with American holidays.
But the best way to know about the holidays is just to go Wal-mart.
They put out all kinds of costumes for upcoming Holloween, and right after that, they have Christmas stuff. And then right after christmas, Wal-mart puts out all pink, heart-shaped cholcolates to prepare for Valentine's Day.
and then Easter, then July 4th, and so on......
I see orange pumpkins everywhere, and some houses are decorated with scary stuff.
One thing I don't like about Holloween is pumpkin pie.
I like almost all American food, but pumpkin pie is not likable somehow.
But in Korea, we have this amazing pumpkin pancake called 'Ho-bak-Jun' that is so easy and simple to make.

Things we need: orange pumpkin, flour(two-three spoons), salt(a little), and sugar(as much as you need)

Cooking time: less than 20 min


1. cut the inner part of pumpkin(pumpkin meat I guess) and slice it like shredded cheeze.


Well, If you don't REALLY have time for this, you can put it in a mixer and grind it. but this will make the meat too moist.





2. Add just a hint of salt to add taste to the pumpkin, and add two tablespoonful of sugar into the mix as well.


* you can also add sugar later when you actually cook it, but it's up to you.



3. Add the flour into the pumpkin and mix it really well with your hands.





4. put a little bit of cooking oil on your pan and turn the fire on middle.








5. And put a chunk of flour-mixed-pumpkin on to the pan and grill it


just like you would cook make a pancake.





If both side is nice golden orange like this picture, you are done.



***Oh, one thing!!

If you are a real sugar-lover, you can sprinkle sugar on the pancake while it's hot so that it will have a thin coat on the surface.


YumYum It's really delicious.

8 comments:

  1. Very interesting. It sounds tasty to me. I like fried things. I've never tried frying pumpkin. And it's true that after carving pumpkins I have never had a use for the meat, until now! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly: Oh, I forgot to mention. Don't forget to get rid of the seeds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seriously interesting. Do you just eat it plain (as in as a pancake) or do you put on maple syrup or strawberries? Or just the sugar coating? I am a bit intimidated with a sacred pancake being turned into a pumpkin flavor, but if you say so I might give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea! As soon as I carve my pumpkin I am going to try it out. I don't like pumpkin pie either so maybe I'll like this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michael: You don't really need any syrups or strawberries. That wouldn't be a Korean food. But I guess it's up to you to try.

    Krystalee: Thanks~! I hope this would be your intro to Korean cuisine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love pumpkin...

    Another way to get rid of the extra moisture is to mash/boil it. You can make pumpkin pie/pudding with it, or my favourite version of pumpkin pancakes.

    I just may add this to my arsenal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that looks fantastic and super easy.

    I'm also not a big fan of pumpkin pie, even though everyone else in my family loves it.

    I think I'm definitely gonna try out this out.

    Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete