Monday, October 11, 2010

OKay, I lied.... You DO need some secret ingredients in every Korean food.

In the introduction of my blog, I wrote that we won't use any secret ingredients that only few Koreans know about.





Well, although it IS possible to make some Korean food without any oriental ingredients, you really need some basic stuff to cook Korean food.





SUCH AS: SOY SAUCE, GARLICS, SESAME OIL..





Well, most of which you can buy from Wal-Mart or other grocery stores.





But If you want to go hardcore, and try the real taste of oriental cuisine, I hereby introduce to you "The Chao's."





The Chao's is a small grocery store run by a Chinese lady.


It's on University Parkway.(77 N University Pkwy)

It is so small that you might miss it first time.

If you look closer to the picture, you will see big Chinese charaters in Yellow on the red background.

Although it's run by Chinese people, they do have variety of Korean and Japanese food.

And if you are lucky, they have fresh veggies on sale sometimes cheaper than other big superstores.

The only drawback is that they close early, 6:30.

Also, there's another grocery store in Orem.

They are run by a Korean couple.

It's called 1st Oriental Market.

They have wide variety of Korean and Japanese food.

Their tofu is always cheaper than any other place in town.

And this is the only place in Orem/Provo area that you can buy real Kimchi, a famous Korean dish.

It's on 286 N. State St. Orem

The store sits on back, so you can't really see it from the street.





8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the info on the grocery store. Just last week I ate Korean food for the first time at a restaurant just down the street from Chao's. It's called Spicy Corea. It was wonderfully tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great to known that there are places to get the real deal kimchi! I had a Korean missionary companion and he introduced me to many Korean foods. Are there any local Korean restaurants that you think are really good?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, thanks! Who knew that was hidden in downtown Provo. I'm excited to try out some of your Korean recipes. One of my good friends served in Korea, I'll have to tell him about your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Do Hyup! I've been wondering where to get Korean foods. Can I put in a request for a good kimchi chi gey or kimchi pog um bab recipe? Maybe even sun tubu chi gey? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh man I LOVE food. I am so happy that you had the idea to share with us all the great places to go.Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are there any Korean recipes that contain duck? If so we have a large population of wild duck at the duck pond south of campus.
    http://byuphobias.blogspot.com/2010/10/on-my-first-blog-michael-nelson.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. jake: That's awesome that you've tried Korean food. Spicy Korea is actually run by friends of my parents. It's a good place.

    Chris: there are three Korean restaurants in Provo, and there's one Japanese/Korean restaurant in Orem. I am planning to have a review post on those restaurants as soon as I get my paycheck.

    Kasia: Thanks a lot. There will be more easy resipes that you can try out soon.

    BW: I hesitate to put a recipe involving Kimchi since there are people who LOVES kimchi, where as there are people who don't. But I'll think about it. I am not sure, though. However, I am sure that I will let you know next time my wife makes one of those dishes and invite you over.

    Marlena: Thanks a lot. I love food, too. I think that's why I've gained so much weight recently.

    Michael: We DO eat duck, too. Frankly, I've always been tempted to bring one or two ducks from the Duck Pond for dinner. But again I think those ducks don't have much meat on them when they are being chased by those kids and cars all the time.

    ReplyDelete